– When you wake up, get a few minutes of direct sunlight (go outside to the balcony, patio or backyard).
– Do a morning stretch for 5 minutes or 5 MIN Workout (50 squats, 30 second planks, 5 pushups, finish with 10 sit-ups).
– If you use caffeinated beverages, consume them before 12 noon.
– Napping is ok somewhere between 1 pm – 430 pm, for no more than 20 to 30 min.
– Exercise a little before homework (do 5 MIN Workout – 3 sets)
– At around sunset, go outside for a few minutes. The change in light triggers the Melatonin burst.
– Dim your bedroom lights after sunset.
– Shower 1 hour before bed. As the body cools down, it is better able to fall asleep.
– Do not rely on Melatonin.
– Do not binge eat right before bedtime as it may cause stomach discomfort and disrupt falling asleep.
– Do not look at cell-phone or tablet screens after 9 pm (the light disrupts falling asleep).
– Do not get light between 11 pm – 4 am.
– Close the curtains or blinds to make the bedroom as dark as possible.
– Keep your bedroom temperature a little cool. This will help you fall asleep faster.
– Avoid going to bed past midnight on weekends.
– Avoid sleeping-in past Noon on weekends.
– Doing these things will disrupt your sleep clock.
– If you have problem controlling nighttime thoughts – journal, stretch, yoga, or listen to this guided meditation.
– Try to get 9.5 hours of sleep every night.
– Do not look at a clock if you are struggling to fall asleep (triggers anxiety).
DO THESE PRACTICES EVERY DAY FOR GOOD SLEEP!